3 1/2 – 4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup apricot nectar
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 6 0z pkg dried apricots
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1 slightly beaten egg white
1 recipe Apricot Icing
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast. In a saucepan heat the apricot nectar, butter (or margarine) sugar, and salt until warm (120-130 degrees F), stirring constantly. Add to flour mixture along with eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Reserve 4 or 5 dried apricots; snip remaining apricots into small pieces. Using a spoon, stir the snipped apricots and pecans into dough. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough (3 -5 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover; let rise till double (about 1 1/2 hours).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest fro 10 minutes. Divide dough into 20 portions; shape into smooth balls. Arrange dough balls 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise till almost double (30-45 minutes).
- Brush dough with egg white. Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 12-15 minutes or till golden. Cool on wire racks. Snip reserved apricots into 40 thin slivers. Using a spoon, top each bun with an X of Apricot icing; decorate with X of 2 apricot slivers. Makes 20 rolls.
APRICOT ICING: Combine 1 cup sifted powdered sugar and enough apricot nectar (about 1 tablespoon) to make an icing of drizzling consistency.
MAKE AHEAD DIRECTIONS: Bake rolls as directed; cool thoroughly. Do not add Apricot Icing. Place in a freezer container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 8 months. To serve, thaw, covered, overnight in the refrigerator. Top with Apricot Icing.
Nutritional Information per bun: 196 calories, 7 g. fat, 32 mg chol., 4 g pro., 31 g carbo., 94 mg sodium, 2 g fiber. RDA:11% iron, 18% vit. A, 17% thiamine, 14 % riboflavin, 11% niacin.