- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, soft at room temp
- 1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 toasted chopped pecans (for half recipe, 1 cup or more for full recipe – I do half with nuts, half without)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- In a large bowl cream shortening, butter and brown sugar. Add eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Combine the baking soda, salt and flour and stir into creamed mixture
- Add oatmeal and chocolate chips (and optional nuts) and stir until well blended.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet (or use parchment paper). Bake for 10 minutes. Check for brown edges but soft centers, add a min. or two if too doughy. Turn cookie sheet half way through if they cook unevenly.
- Transfer to racks for cooling.